viernes, 15 de agosto de 2014

Tired tiddles

It's finally Friday. I'm not a weekend person because I never know what to do, and then I feel guilty if I end up doing nothing. I guess that's still a student/freelancer trait in me...

It's been a rough week, I've spent most of my evenings crying. I miss my family, and this loneliness is starting to be a bit too much even for an introvert like me. I have absolutely no idea how I'm gonna survive this weekend... I know I'll have to do the dishes tomorrow and make the laundry machine sing, like we say in Finnish. Or at least I say so. Last Sunday was nice, I hung out with a colleague and his boyfriend. 

A hilarious menu we spotted near Barceloneta beach.

I'm positively surprised by the health center in my district. I went there last week because I wanted to get registered for the public healthcare (after 6 months... just following my motto, never leave that till tomorrow which you can do the day after), and they did it right away. Everyone was so friendly, and I realized that I had been stressed for nothing. When I had to do the same thing in Italy, they kept sending me back and forth between different offices, until I just collapsed one day and started crying in front of the staff. They registered me within 5 minutes.

I got a card with a code, that I could use for booking an appointment online. Well, my code didn't work, and when I tried to call, the automatic answering system didn't work either. I went to the health center again, and asked if there's something wrong with my code. They said that I could see a doctor right away! The doctor was really nice, and when I told her that I can't sleep because it's difficult for me to breathe, especially during the night, she took it very seriously and booked an appointment for blood samples and another one for an otolaryngologist. She didn't ask any questions when I said that I'd need a new prescription for my antidepressants, which was a surprise - in Italy it seemed to be a problem. I hope they'll take my mental problems seriously here, especially since I keep on feeling that they're getting worse again.

But like I said, I'm positively surprised with the health center, especially because I thought that I'd get the normal Southern European treatment... All this would have taken much longer in Iceland. Icelanders are lazy or just not interested.

All-you-can-eat sushi lunch with colleagues.

I know the doctor will say something about my weight - in the referral it says OBESITAT. I'm just gonna tell her how it is: I can't do any sports outside because people stare and judge me with their looks (it's not just the personality disorder talking, trust me), and because of the fucking hypothyroidism I never have any energy. And because of the fucking hypothyroidism I gain 5 pounds just by looking at chocolate. Life used to be so much easier before the thyroid gland started bitching. So, normal people, enjoy your activities wherever; for me it's a big struggle just to step outside in the morning.

It didn't rain in the end.

3 comentarios:

Paula dijo...

If hypothyroidism, talk to the same doctor that assisted you. They will know what to get you ;)

Unknown dijo...

It will be a different doctor, one assigned to me... but she has a Basque name, so I'm optimistic :D

tätsä dijo...

Heippa! Mäkin olen muuttanu Barcelonaan vasta ja olen vuoden loppuun täällä. Takaisin pitäisi palata vuoden sisällä, joten kai tätä voi alkaa jo kodiksi kutsua :) . Oletko törmännyt muihin suomalaisiin täällä, tai onko vinkkiä miten löytyisi seuraa aina välillä kun tämä alku taitaa vähän hankalaa olla :D ? Työkavereiden englanti kun ei kauheen vahva ole ja omista espanjan opinnoista ei katalaanin takia ollutkaan kauheesti hyötyä :D niin juttuseura on välillä suomen puheluiden varassa.

Terkuin Ida
ida.salmela@gmail.com